Pine Needle Basketry by Vicki Phillips

January 10, 2011

Midnight Snow

Why does it always seem like the largest snowfalls come in the middle of the night even when the forecast is for snow? You can smell it in the air, but it doesn't snow. The temperature is cold enough for it to snow, but it doesn't snow. When my children were younger they would keep looking out the window in hopes that the snow was falling, however, it never came while they watched. (I admit I still do this!) The excitement of the arrival of snow always made it difficult for them to sleep. (I still do this, too!) Finally the snow would arrive in the middle of the night and turn the yard into a magical winter wonderland. Since we don't get that much snow in the maritime Northwest, most of the time school was canceled or delayed and if it wasn't I would still let the kids stay home to play in the snow. Wow, would they enjoy themselves by sledding, building snowmen, making snow angels and having snowball fights. (I still want to do these things, but the body isn't as young as it used to be!) They would always come inside with bright red cheeks, exhausted and very happy. I think we all need a snow day once in awhile to remind us how to play!
I made this basket using natural brown and dyed blue Long Leaf pine needles, dark blue artificial sinew, antique brass plated pewter filigree snowflake beads, clear white seed beads and a blue snowflake pottery base. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Another beautiful basket! Love your photography :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one. The blue is so pretty. Nice work mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really pops. Very fun. Love how lively the blue makes the piece. How nice of the snow to stick around for a backdrop. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete