
Today I have been sorting cedar bark, birch bark and other basket-making supplies. I have found many things that I have totally forgotten about (imagine that!)...once again, it is like Christmas for me! For many years I have collected birch bark from fallen trees, usually the result of beavers, while on vacation with my family in Canada. Many times my husband would bring me pieces of bark after a canoe trip, or I would raid the firewood pile for the beautiful white treasure. I carefully packed the bark in the bottom of my suitcase to bring it home and was always a little nervous going through Customs at the airport because I didn't want my bark treasures to get confiscated! I didn't realize until today how much birch bark I have collected over the years (again, imagine that!) and I don't think I have found all of it yet...I still have the garage to search! I also found several pieces of cedar bark that were given to me by my sister-in-law, and some pieces that I purchased with basket kits over the years. I can't wait to get started on bark basket projects, but for now I just keep sorting and putting things in clear containers so I won't forget what I have! I'm really trying to work on improving my "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" habits while organizing the new craft room...I hope it works!
P.S. The above small cedar bark basket was given to me by my friend, Chris, and I made the plaited birch bark basket many years ago while in Canada.
What cool bark bits, pieces and hunks. You could be busy for a long, long time just on the bark alone. And I have faith that you have found more in the garage at this point. :) Love your bark basket and seeing the other again. Always like that slip of turquoise running through. One of those pieces of birch looks hand stitched the markings are so perfect. Momma nature strikes again.
ReplyDelete