Pine Needle Basketry by Vicki Phillips

February 9, 2018

By The Bay


I am very blessed to call Gig Harbor, Washington home for over three and half decades. I have seen many changes over the years, however, Gig Harbor still remains a charming and wonderful place to live. Recently there has been a lot of publicity surrounding our little bay including features on King 5 News and the HGTV 2018 Dream Home. I am hoping that all of this publicity and the large increases in population will not affect the quality of life here.

Many years ago when I would drive my children to school we would pass a cliff that overlooks Puget Sound and Mt. Rainier. On days when the mountain was especially beautiful I would remind them that they were very fortunate to see this and not to ever take it for granted. They would either agree, ignore me or laugh depending on the mood of the day! Even after all of these years the views of the harbor and surrounding area still take my breath away. Also, this area continues to be a constant source of inspiration for my basket making and other creative endeavors.

The colors of my "By The Bay" pine needle basket reminded me of Gig Harbor. I made it with natural and dyed brown Longleaf pine needles, brown artificial sinew, blue African recycled glass beads from Ghana and a tan and blue three-dimensional crab pottery base.  This basket is 10-1/2" round by 1-1/2" tall. 
 Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment