Pine Needle Basketry by Vicki Phillips

February 12, 2016

Antarctica

Visiting Antarctica has left a special place in my heart and continues to influence my basket making. I keep trying to remember the colors and the feelings of this special and peaceful place and am trying to capture them in my baskets. I still have a hard time coming up with words to describe this amazing place and the pictures can only reveal and express so much. However, I found the following quote that sums it up pretty well.


"If Antarctica were music it would be Mozart. Art, and it would be Michelangelo. Literature, and it would be Shakespeare. And yet it is something even greater; the only place on earth that is still as it should be. May we never tame it."
Andrew Denton




I made my "Antarctica" basket with dyed dark blue Longleaf pine needles, dark blue sinew, rectangle white quartz druzy beads and a crystallized blue, white and brown agate with a small touch of pink.

The beads represent the tabular icebergs, snow and ice. I was thrilled to find an agate that captured many of the colors and details of Antarctica, including the water, ice, cliffs and sand. The touch of pink in the agate was an added bonus. When I first went on shore to see the penguins I wondered why the snow was pink. The penguins eat krill, so you can figure that one that for yourself! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment