Pine Needle Basketry by Vicki Phillips

February 1, 2012

Playing With Hearts

I love making valentine baskets and have been having fun playing with hearts lately! I can't seem to get enough of working with heart beads.

While making my Hearts & Flowers basket thoughts of tie-dye, Woodstock, flower power, Jerry Garcia and the simple, yet powerful word of love kept swirling around in my head. I used heart shaped Millefiori beads, natural green and dyed blue Long Leaf pine needles, blue artificial sinew and a very cool "love, love, love, love" pottery base.

While making my Be Mine basket thoughts of handmade valentine cards, heart candy and childhood memories of valentine mailboxes on desks and all the excitement that comes from opening the special valentines tucked inside came to mind. I used heart shaped Czech red swirl glass beads, dyed red Long Leaf pine needles, red artificial sinew and a whimsical hearts pottery base. Enjoy!

P.S. A special thank you to Pamela Zimmerman for continuing to inspire my work with her amazing pottery basket bases.

2 comments:

  1. Love the Valentine Baskets! I remember my Valentine gift from last year! Thank you for making such beautiful treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, Vicki, it is you who inspire with your lovely baskets! thanks so much for sharing them. The hearts are adorable, and i love all the tender care and thought you put into each little work of art!

      Delete