

The agate center was the initial inspiration for this basket, because if you look closely it looks like a beautiful sunrise or sunset over the water.
However, as I worked on the basket I found myself singing the song "Sunrise, Sunset" from the play Fiddler on The Roof and remembering a bit of my past (my mind often wanders while making baskets). The summer of 1981 I flew to New York City to be with my boyfriend (now my husband) for a month. My only mode of transportation was on the back of his BMW motorcycle (we had many adventures that I will share sometime in the future). One of the highlights that he surprised me with was taking me to see Fiddler on The Roof at Lincoln Center. I didn't know it at the time, but I was very fortunate to see Herschel Bernardi revive his role of Tevye for only seven weeks of performances with the State Theater. What an amazing experience and it jump started my lifelong love of going to plays. I still have the playbill from the show and enjoy reading it on occasion. Plus, it came in handy to photograph with my happy sunny basket!
I made this basket using natural brown and dyed orange and rust Long Leaf pine needles, earth tone orange artificial sinew, red agate heart beads and a rust/orange/cream agate center base. Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment