Pine Needle Basketry by Vicki Phillips

June 29, 2010

Fences Are For Climbing

I love climbing plants and when I see an empty fence I imagine beautiful climbing plants on it. My motto is "fences are for climbing"! I love the way climbing plants twist and turn and hang down over the world. However, I hate to trim climbing plants, but know it has to be done or else they will take over the entire yard and garden. Kiwi plants need to be trimmed back in the summer, so that the energy goes into the fruit. My four (two male and two female) kiwi plants are finally old enough that I think I will get fruit this year...yipee!
Before and after I trimmed my Hardy kiwi plants.
There are tons of blooms this year and the garden smells
like a sweet tropical island.
See the little kiwis starting to grow on the Arctic Beauty kiwi plant on the left and the Hardy kiwi plant on the right!
The bonus is that I have kiwi vines for basket making!
Happy Gardening!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. We saw some beautiful climbing plants on the garden tour. We have 2 clematis, 1 plant I don't know the name and we just planted a honeysuckle. So fun! Jason loves Kiwi!

    ReplyDelete