Pine Needle Basketry by Vicki Phillips

February 4, 2023

Midnight Waters

During a typical Pacific Northwest winter we get a lot of rain in the lowlands and a lot of snow in the mountains. We are blessed with many lakes, rivers, streams, the Puget Sound (aka the Salish Sea) and the Pacific ocean. Water is a big part of our landscape here. The winter days can be dark and dreary for many months and some people find it depressing. However, the winter months are the most inspiring and creative for me. I love the rain and all the environmental benefits that come along with it. I was inspired by all the beautiful waterways that surround me while making this basket.

I made my "Midnight Waters" pine needle basket using dyed black LongLeaf pine needles, Pacific blue artificial sinew, beautiful two-sided three dimensional artisan lampwork beads. The lampwork beads show a moon shining down in the night on a lovely mountain landscape with a river running through them. A beautiful evergreen tree and bushes are in the forefront. I wrapped the pine needles in different ways to look like different sizes of waves and running water on all sides and the rim of the basket. I used a gorgeous large black and brown crystallized agate set in resin for the center base.

This basket measures approximately 10-1/4" x 11" x 6-1/4".

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment