Pine Needle Basketry by Vicki Phillips

July 20, 2021

The Bay


In celebration of the announcement that the Canadian border is opening to Americans on August 9, I thought I would post my "The Bay" pine needle basket. YAY! Even though we won't be able to go to Canada this year, I am hoping that many of our family and friends will be able to go and enjoy the beautiful Canadian wilderness once again. I will miss the beautiful sunsets and the sound of the loons in the distance. My husbands family has been going up their since the late 1800's and have only missed a few years of going to their cottage. 


I made this basket over a decade ago and it gets more beautiful with age. To help preserve a pine needle basket, never leave it in direct sunlight and dust or spray it with a little water on occasion to clean it. With a little care, pine needle baskets should last for generations, just like the cottage has survived for many generations. Enjoy!



I made my "The Bay" pine needle basket using natural Longleaf pine needles, natural artificial sinew and a lovely large crystallized blue Brazilian agate set in resin base to represent the beautiful Georgian Bay waters.

This basket measures approximately 10" round by 3" tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment