I love this time of year with all of the birds singing and the longer days. It is fun to watch the birds find their mates and build their nests. I think birds were the first basketmakers. Every time I come across a bird nest I take the time to look at it carefully to see how it was made. They use a wonderful variety of natural materials and different techniques to make their nests.
When my children were younger I would take bird nests to school, along with my baskets, for show and tell and art time. The shapes and materials were very similar to each other. The children would make a bird nest craft project with the twigs, grasses, bark and other natural materials that I would supply. They were very creative and seemed to enjoy it, too.
I made my "Bird Song" basket using dyed brown Longleaf pine needles, Pacific blue artificial sinew, "There's A Song In The Air" bird pottery heart pendant and beautiful dyed blue magnesite rock base.
ENJOY!





No comments:
Post a Comment