I spent last week cleaning out and reorganizing my craft room/studio. One of the things that I finally did was to take photos of my pine needle purse collection. I bought these many years ago from local second hand stores and Ebay. All of the purses are made with pine needles and raffia and some are lined with beautiful fabric and adorned with pinecones and other natural items. Some are all natural and some have a sealant to help to preserve them.

I have always appreciated the quality of workmanship and the beautiful designs. The teneriffe patterns and stitching are extraordinary. I imagine it took along time to make each one of them. I wish I knew the story behind the people who made these, but only one purse has a name on it and I have not found any information about her yet.
I know that pine needle purses have been around since before the 1900's and that they became very popular during different periods of time. I have also collected several books and magazines with instructions on how to make a pine needle purse, but have not attempted to make one yet. Maybe someday I will sell or donate these to a museum, but for now I will just enjoy them and continue to be inspired by the beautiful craftsmanship. Enjoy!









No comments:
Post a Comment