Pine Needle Basketry by Vicki Phillips

September 5, 2018

Waterspouts

Several years ago we were visiting our family in the Georgian Bay area of Canada during a particularly hot summer. We were all wishing for a storm to come through to clear out the hot and humid air. Well, we got our wish, and boy was it ever a storm! I was in my cabin comfortably cuddled up on the sofa laughing while reading Tina Fey's book Bossypants when I heard the thunder in the distance. Then the thunder got closer and it started to pour rain so loudly that it drowned out the sound of the thunder. The lighting strikes were all around us, and the lights began to flicker and went out. I was enjoying my book so much that I just moved closer to where the light was coming in from the window to continue reading. I looked out the window, and the water looked like a big boiling pot with all the rain and wind hitting it.


We were supposed to go to my in-laws cottage on another island that was only about 10 minutes away for lunch to celebrate my birthday. I thought for sure that we would postpone this because of the storm. Nope, my husband, who is already soaked head to toe, walked in and asked if I was ready to go! I looked at him like he was crazy, but I learned along time ago that the Phillips Family is a hardy bunch. We just happened to be staying at my sister-in-laws place, and she was already starting up the boat by the time we got to the dock. When the lightning had passed, we could see blue sky in the distance. However, when we got out on the main channel we all looked out at the open water, and there was a large waterspout in the distance coming towards us. We all looked at each other, and in typical Phillips fashion, my sister-in-law put the boat in full throttle. When we got to my in-laws cottage I was a little speechless and a little shaken up. My mother-in-law calmly said something about the green beans not cooking long enough and more about the meal that she was preparing. She wasn't even fazed by the fact that we had just seen a large waterspout! Definitely a bunch of hardy individuals who have taught me a lot over the years. Especially about the love of the Georgian Bay, even with its ever-changing and sometimes violent and dramatic weather!

When we left the temperature outside had dropped about 15 degrees, and we all had to borrow sweatshirts and coats to stay warm while going back to our island. I will never forget how blue the sky was, and how fresh and crisp the air felt. It turned out to be a perfect birthday celebration, and the green beans were excellent!

P.S. I highly recommend having a funny book to read and a hardy bunch of people to hang out with during a thunderstorm!
I made my "Waterspouts" pine needle basket using natural green Longleaf pine needles, teal blue Brazilian Settanyl waxed poly cord, blue wave lampwork beads and a teal blue multi-colored moss agate for the base. This basket measures 11" x 10" x 4-1/2"
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment