Pine Needle Basketry by Vicki Phillips

October 23, 2014

Jack-O'-Lantern


It is that fun time of year again when we get to carve pumpkins and dress up in silly costumes! For my daughter's first Halloween, I sewed a printed fabric pumpkin costume for her. When I was a child we always made our costumes from things that we had around the house and our big splurge was a plastic mask that you barely could see or breath out of very well. I thought making this glow in the dark pumpkin head costume was very special and elaborate! I am sure this wouldn't have made it on Pinterest back in the day! We used this costume for many years and I don't know why we did this, because we are all fairly creative people. Unfortunately, my son had to spend his first Halloween being a pumpkin head, too! We ended up passing the pumpkin costume on to another friend with a new baby and she used it for many seasons, too. I often wonder if the pumpkin costume is still making the rounds today!

I made my jack-o'-lantern basket using natural brown Long Leaf pine needles, orange artificial sinew, orange howlite jack-o'-lantern beads and a red and orange maple leaf pottery base. Enjoy!

P.S. The beautiful and very colorful pottery basket base was made by Pamela Zimmerman. Click here to go to her Etsy store.

No comments:

Post a Comment