I have always been curious about the Standing Rock Sioux Indian Reservation and its rich American history. As I have mentioned before, my mind often wanders while making my baskets. This basket was no exception, and it led me to read My Friend The Indian by James McLaughlin. James McLaughlin was a United States Indian Service Agent for over 38 years and gives a firsthand account of some of the most heart-wrenching and momentous events in the history of our country's West. It was interesting to read the book's account of some of the places I have been, and I enjoyed learning about stories related to those places. One of the most interesting legends is about how the Standing Rock Agency got its name (click here to read more), and this is one of the reasons I named this basket Standing Rock. Also, while I was making this basket, I rediscovered the memory of searching for arrowheads as a child, but I don't remember if I ever found any. It seemed like I searched forever to try to find one!I used natural brown Loblolly pine needles, brown artificial sinew, antique copper-plated brass feather drop beads, picture jasper nugget beads and an arrowhead center base to make this basket. Thanks to my friend Shirley for making such a great arrowhead basket base!
Enjoy!

Standing Rock is a treasure. And a beautiful tribute to a challenging history. The combination of the rocks, feathers and arrowhead are just right but only possible because of your striking basketry talent. Thank you for the tribal background.
ReplyDelete