Pine Needle Basketry by Vicki Phillips

October 29, 2010

Twilight

I know that some people think of twilight as the current series of books and movies about vampires, however, that wasn't the inspiration for this basket. The dictionary refers to the word twilight as the soft, diffused light from the sky when the sun is below the horizon, either from daybreak to sunrise or, more commonly, from sunset to nightfall. Twilight has long been popular with photographers and painters, who refer to it as the "blue hour". I refer to twilight from the perspective of places I have been while experiencing this magical time in all of its glory. Some of my favorite places at twilight have been, Egypt Lake in the Canadian Rockies, the Jefferson River in Western Montana, Far Island in the Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada, Old Faithful in Yellowstone National Park, Lake Diablo in the North Cascades in Washington State, the Yaquina Bay Bridge in Newport, Oregon, Roche Harbor on San Juan Island in Washington State and Waikiki Beach on the island of Oahu in Hawaii. 

I made this basket with natural brown and dyed dark blue Long Leaf pine needles, blue artificial sinew and a blue crystallized Brazilian agate base. I hope that everyone has enjoyed a beautiful and magical twilight at some point in their life. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful.....and I am so glad it has nothing to do with vampires because I don't like those shows :(

    ReplyDelete