When I started this basket I was thinking about the beautiful night skies full of stars and bright moons that we have been enjoying this fall season. A few nights we were supposed to get a chance to see the Northern Lights, so I kept getting up out of bed and looking in the north sky for a chance to see them. I have always wanted to see the Aurora Borealis, but it didn't show up where I was looking. However, I did get to enjoy watching the stars and they were mesmerizing and gorgeous.
As I kept stitching and my basket kept getting larger my mind wandered, which it often does while I am making a basket. I found myself starting to sing the words starry starry night from Don McLean's song "Vincent", a beautiful song that he wrote as a tribute to Vincent Van Gogh. As I tried to remember the full lyrics of the song, Vincent Van Gogh's "The Starry Night" painting popped into my head. When I finally finished my basket I had to find the song to help me remember the lyrics and to read more about the painting. Thank goodness for YouTube! I was fortunate to find both plus more information about both artists. CLICK HERE to read the lyrics while listening to the song and enjoy watching beautiful artwork by Vincent Van Gogh. You gotta love YouTube to find exactly what you want when your mind is wandering about while making baskets! I also found this fun quote from Bill Watterson who is the creator of Calvin and Hobbes...so true!

I made my "Starry Night" basket using dyed dark blue Longleaf pine needles, dark blue and white artificial sinew, blue swirl star lava beads and a blue crystallized agate base. This basket was really fun and relaxing to make and ended up being almost 14" round by the time I was done stitching and daydreaming!
Enjoy!






No comments:
Post a Comment