Pine Needle Basketry by Vicki Phillips

November 3, 2015

Ancient Blessing

My thoughts were with my daughter and son-in-law on their recent eight day trek in Nepal while making this basket. I was not only hoping that they would have a safe journey, but also found myself enjoying learning about the people, culture and history of Nepal as I read about where they were trekking. Part of me wished that I could be with them and be able to experience in person this interesting and beautiful part of the world. I am very proud of my "kids" for completing this amazing journey!


I used an ammonite ceramic center base for this basket and learned that fossilized ammonites have many different spiritual meanings in many different cultures around the world. Ammonites from the Gandaki River in Nepal are known as saligrams, and are believed by Hindus to be a concrete manifestation of God. I felt a little more at peace after reading this and knew that my daughter and son-in-law would have a safe journey.

I made this basket using natural brown and dyed green Longleaf pine needles, sweetgrass, natural artificial sinew, taupe sea glass rondelle beads, a brass quote pendant and a gorgeous three-dimensional green and brown ammonite fossil pottery base.
Enjoy!


Note: The beautiful basket base that I used in this basket was made by Pamela Zimmerman. Click here to go to her Etsy Shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment