Pine Needle Basketry by Vicki Phillips

August 27, 2015

Preparing Pine Needles


We have had one of the hottest summers on record in the Pacific Northwest this year, so I have been taking advantage of the dry heat and dying, preparing and drying pine needles to use all year long. I have used many techniques and formulas over the years to prepare my pine needles for coiling. Lately, I have been baking my pine needles in a glycerin bath and adding dye during that process. The pine needles come out very flexible and nice shades of brown and other great colors. Since I never add a sealant to my baskets, this process doesn't affect the wonderful pine scent. I have also used plant trays from my local garden center for many years to dry pine needles. They are the perfect size and are open on the bottom for good air circulation. The forecast calls for the rains to return tomorrow and I am thankful for that. Hopefully the rain will help put out the horrible wildfires in our state and make my plants in the garden happy. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi I was wondering do you ever use the needles fresh or preserve them in glycerin while they are still green?

    ReplyDelete