Pine Needle Basketry by Vicki Phillips

September 17, 2014

Salmon

We are blessed in the Pacific Northwest to have an abundance of fresh salmon to eat. I hate to admit it, but I was getting tired of eating it and running out of ideas of how to prepare it. Thankfully my husband discovered cedar planks this summer. I was skeptical at first when I saw him soak the plank for a few hours and then place the seasoned salmon on the cedar plank to cook in the barbeque. To my surprise, the salmon was absolutely delicious! I don't think we will ever be able to cook salmon any other way from now on. I am also surprised (and feeling a little dumb) that we haven't done this before since plank cooking originated in the Pacific Northwest and was the preferred method for salmon and other fish by Native Americans.


I made this basket using natural green Long Leaf pine needles, tan artificial sinew, green and white marbled glass crow beads and a pottery salmon base. Enjoy!

P.S. The beautiful salmon pottery base was made by Sally Durkee. Click here to go to her Etsy site.

No comments:

Post a Comment