I have always enjoyed coloring Easter eggs and look forward to it every year. Over the years our family has experimented with many different ways to color and decorate eggs. We have used almost every egg dyeing kit including neon colors, marbled, stencils, wax pens, stickers, glitter, magic markers and many more. One year we used onion skins and beet juice to decorate our eggs. Another year we tried gluing glitter and sequins on the eggs. Every year we try to see who can come up with the "eggstra special" egg. Usually the egg that has the perfect color all around and stands out from the rest is the winner. We always seems to eat the not so perfect eggs first. Those are the eggs that you dip in too many colors trying too hard to come up with the "eggstra special" egg...they always seem to turn out a hideous brown or gray color! I also look forward to colored egg salad sandwiches. I don't know if it is the bright colors that make them taste so good or the fact that we haven't had egg salad sandwiches in awhile. I can't wait to dye Easter eggs again and I wonder what we will experiment with this year!
I tried to make this basket represent the egg dyeing process. I started with light pink Irish waxed linen thread on the bottom part of the basket to show the color you get when the egg first is put in the dye. I used maroon Irish waxed linen thread to show the color after the egg has sat in the dye for a longer time. On the top of the basket I used porcelain swirl puff oval beads to represent the dyed eggs. The colorful Easter egg center base shows the "eggstra special" eggs and the natural green Long Leaf pine needles represent the beginning of Spring. Enjoy!


We had geese and my mom always signed up to help with the class Easter egg hunt. We had no success dying the goose eggs until my mom found that she could just dip a paper towel in pure food coloring and dab it on the eggs. That stayed and looked great...tie-dyed goose eggs! It was a hit at the egg hunt. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the quarter taped onto the egg! Keep in mind this was a LONG time ago. The quarter was a lot back then.
ReplyDeleteGeraldine,
ReplyDeleteI have never tried dying goose eggs, but now I know how to do it...thanks. I bet the eggs were really pretty. I remember when a quarter was a lot of money, too. You could buy five huge candy bars for that price! I started following you on Pinterest and your baskets are beautiful. I also saw your baskets on Pamela Zimmerman's blog.