Pine Needle Basketry by Vicki Phillips

February 23, 2010

Honu

The first time that I went snorkeling in Hawaii I saw a honu, a Hawaiian sea turtle. I couldn't believe it! Not just because I was snorkeling and saw a sea turtle for the first time, but because I actually got my face wet. I am not fond of swimming and I hate getting my face wet, even in the shower! I fell in love with snorkeling, because the warm salty water helps keep me afloat and my mind busy looking under the water so that I forget that I have a wet face! I went through several swimming lessons as a child and I think the instructor finally gave me a beginner card just so she didn't have to see me again. When I was about ten years old I got flipped over and stuck underneath an inner tube while floating on a lake. When I finally came up and was crying while trying to cough out the water that I sucked down everyone around me was laughing. That still gives me shivers to this day. When I first went to the Georgian Bay my sister-in-law helped me swim the channel (a must for everyone and a good safety rule) so that I didn't have to wear a life jacket on the dock. Thank goodness it was a low water year and I didn't have that far to swim and there were turtles to look at, too! When the daughter was six months old I took her to swimming lessons. One of the "games" was for the mothers to dunk their heads under the water while singing a cheerful song and then dunk their babies under to show them how much fun water was. I hated it, but I did it because I didn't want my daughter to have the same fears that I had. She loves the water and is an excellent swimmer and has been since she was a toddler, so it was worth the dunking. I have always been around boats and water and that has never bothered me and I am a good enough swimmer that I could probably save myself if I fell in, but I don't want to try that anytime soon!

So what does all of this have to do with this basket? When I first saw the agate that I used for the base it reminded me of the shell of a turtle, especially the Hawaiian sea turtle (just the way my wacky mind works). The honu is the Hawaiian symbol of longevity, peace, humility and the spirit within and the turtle also has many special meanings in other cultures, too. I have always been fascinated with turtles and continue to be inspired by them. I hope that the world continues to make progress to save these amazing creatures from becoming extinct.
I used natural green and dyed dark green Florida Long Leaf pine needles, brown artificial sinew, a brown/golden/white colored Brazilian agate center and copper turtle beads swimming around the rim. The swirl pattern that I made with the sheaths (tops) of the pine needles represent waves from the ocean. Enjoy!
P.S. I made this basket while watching Apolo Ohno at the Olympics...so maybe it should be called "Honu Ohno"!

5 comments:

  1. I am lucky I got to see the basket in person. You do such beautiful work. I can not believe how much the same we are. When we went to Hawaii, I was scared to death to snorkle but did it because Jeff wanted to but once my mind was on the fish and turtles I enjoyed myself. I hate being wet and tolerate a shower only because it is a must! I too wanted my children to be good swimmers and we know how that turned out! The things we do as mothers...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the things we do as mothers never seems to end, basketmaking helps with this! I now have to take long showers to get the muscles moving in the morning, but my face never gets wet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful basket! Love the dark swirls and turtle rim. And your photos are all beautiful. Great to be able to see all those stitches and textures up close. When we were over in the Islands snorkeling I started following one of those huge turtles. They are so amazing. Got so caught up in watching him, I didn't realize he was running me right onto a coral reef. Clearly I wasn't the first goof ball he had grounded. For the record, coral hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too made the same mistake with coral, but I was following a large clown fish...it does hurt, but the cuts heal up quickly with the salt water! I bought a new Canon Powershot camera and these are some of my first photos with it...technology is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a gorgeous basket this is! and a wonderful story, too...
    pamela

    ReplyDelete