Pine Needle Basketry by Vicki Phillips

September 16, 2009

Tide Pool

I lived on the Oregon coast in Newport and the Otter Rock area for five years in my late teens and early twenties. One of my favorite places to go was the Otter Rock Marine Gardens. Low tide would expose a beautiful marine garden full of amazing colorful anemone, crab, starfish, sea urchins and many other sea creatures. Every shade of green and blue that you could imagine was visible in the water, kelp and other variety of plants that were growing on the sandstone shelves. This basket was inspired by what I saw and experienced there, so hence the name "Tide Pool". I wish I could have figured out a way to include the sounds and the smells of the ocean in this basket, too!

I intermixed turquoise, aqua green and dark blue Florida Long Leaf pine needles with the sheaths showing in a swirl design to show the movement of the ocean. I used a turquoise Brazilian agate with crystals in the center that reminds me, not only of the water, sea glass and glass fishing floats, but also sea foam. I coiled it all together using royal blue waxed linen thread.

This is one of the largest baskets that I have ever made and it took me over twenty hours to complete. After admiring my basket and being thankful that it was finally finished, I left the room only to return to find that Pudge had thrown up in it! Another reminder that to some of us baskets are a thing of beauty and to others they are just a convenient container to hide a fur ball!

P.S. My love goes out to Indigo and I apologize that you will have to share heaven someday with Pudge!

2 comments:

  1. You do such beautiful work. I still think the burgandy basket with the crystal that looks like flowering cherry trees is my favorite. I can imagine the ocean noice and the kitty is imagining the water too! And also the things we put up with.....with our cats:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, you have just succeeded in brightening my mood, though I hate to have such a good laugh at your expense. The basket is just lovely and so is hearing about the inspiration for it. Rick loved it as well and got an equally good laugh.

    Dear Indigo set sail about forty eight hours ago. Following some bizarre phone conversations Monday morning with the office of the vet we have used for 20 years, we switched. We are now Evergreen Animal Hospital devotees. They were GREAT, she just had too many challenges. After 16 years she leaves a big void. Well with her personality she would have left a big void if she had turned tail and walked out on day one. She was a treasure and I suspect when the time comes, she and Pudge will make good Heaven buddies. Both love messing with things they shouldn't, leaving calling cards and bringing years of enjoyment to their families.

    When you are out enjoying your home on the water, say Hi to Indy for us. Her ashes were spread over Commencement Bay. She sleeps with the fishes.

    ReplyDelete