Pine Needle Basketry by Vicki Phillips

April 10, 2009

Happy Easter

I made these three baskets last spring and that is when I really got excited about experimenting with color. This is also about the same time that I decided to to start giving each basket a name. You are looking at "Twilight", "Chick" and "Raspberry Surprise" (thanks for the name Chris). They reminded me of Easter and the beautiful colors of the season. I used different colored Brazilian agate centers, dyed Florida Long Leaf pine needles and colored artificial sinew and waxed linen thread. I also tried different techniques with the sheaths (top) of the pine needles to add to the design and give a swirling effect.

I know it has been a long winter for most of us and here in the Northwest we are glad to see 50 degrees again! I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter and enjoys all of the new beauty and life that this season has to offer. Have fun finding your eggs, too!

1 comment:

  1. WOW, I have fallen behind again. And when I get here, I find more baskets than I could have imagined! I'm thinking the Easter Bunny thing may all be a lie and YOU are the true spirit of Easter. Where in the world did you find that magical door for your tree stump? "Watership Down" revisited! And I love each and everyone of these baskets. The red one with heart beads is great and looks like it was hard work. But truly they are all wonderful, natural or dyed, beads, agate, or not, all wonderful! You never cease to amaze me with your artistry. Happy Easter Dear One, Chris

    ReplyDelete